Select a keyword from the dropdown box or type a single word in the Question Search box to narrow FAQ results.

If you do not find an answer to your question, please look in our A-Z Index or contact our office.

An FSA ID is a user name and password for U.S. Department of Education websites. Effective May 10, 2015, this replaces the Federal PIN.  Instructions on how to obtain a FSA ID and answers to frequently asked questions are provided on the Federal Student Aid website.

You can check your financial aid information in MyUI. Once in MyUI, click on the Financial Aid icon.  Under the Financial Aid heading, click on Application/Loan Document Status or Award Notification. When in MyUI, be sure to click on the appropriate session in the upper right corner of each page.

The federal government has established criteria for classifying financial aid recipients as dependent or self-supporting. The University of Iowa Office of Student Financial Aid does not determine your status; nor is your status determined by whether your parents claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return.

To be considered a self-supporting student for the 2017-2018...

View FAQ

To see what types of information can be accessed with your FSA ID, go to the U.S. Department of Education's FSA ID web site.

Yes. In order to be considered for aid programs administered by the UI Office of Student Financial Aid ( UI OSFA), you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. File the 2018-2019 FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1, 2017. The filing deadline for priority consideration was November 15, 2017. For...

View FAQ

Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis; therefore, you should complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 for the upcoming academic year. You can file the FAFSA using estimated income information if actual information is not yet available.

You must complete the FAFSA accurately, providing the actual numbers requested. Review the information on our special circumstances web page to determine if your circumstance can be evaluated.

You can check on the status of your FAFSA using the U.S. Department of Education FAFSA web site at or by calling them at 1-800-433-3243.  Financial aid application status is also available in MyUI.

There is no automatic income level cutoff for financial aid eligibility. The only sure way to determine your eligibility for need-based financial aid is to file the FAFSA. A number of factors are considered in determining eligibility. There are non-need based loans available for those families in higher income brackets whose FAFSA information indicates they have no financial need. We encourage...

View FAQ

Assets must be reported as of the day you signed the FAFSA; therefore, these figures cannot be updated.

The parent you lived with more during the past 12 months. If you did not live with either parent or if you lived with each parent an equal amount of time, provide information for the parent who provided the most financial support to you during the last 12 months or during the most recent calendar year that you actually received support from a parent. If this parent is remarried as of the date...

View FAQ

Whether your parents claim you as a dependent on their federal tax return does not determine whether you file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as a dependent or self-supporting student. To be considered a self-supporting student for the 2016-2017 academic year, you must be able to answer "yes" to one of the questions below.

  • Were you born before January 1, 1993...
View FAQ

Awarding for the 2018-2019 academic year will begin in mid-January 2018.  You can view your application status  and award notification on MyUI.

You can use MyUI to keep track of your financial aid. The status of your application (if documents have been received) and your award notification are available in MyUI....

View FAQ

If you are using Internet Explorer as your web browser, your award notification may not display correctly. Try using Firefox or Chrome.

The federal government assesses loan fees on Federal Direct Loans. Detailed information is available on our loan fees web page.

You can decline or reduce you loans on the Student Loan Confirmation page in MyUI.

If you reduce your loans, all of your loans will show as accepted and will be placed on hold.  It may take up to three business days for your cancellation/reduction...

View FAQ

Work-Study is a part-time employment program for U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are at least half-time students in a degree program and demonstrate financial need by filing the FAFSA each year. For additional information, see the work-study section of our employment web page. If you have been awarded...

View FAQ

Yes. There are many job opportunities on the University of Iowa campus. Make plans to attend the Fall Job Fair held during the first week of classes in August. Visit our Student Job Fair web page to obtain...

View FAQ

The Registrar's Office determines the classification of residents and nonresidents for tuition purposes. Information is available on the Registrar's website.

You may be able to receive aid to study abroad, but you must plan well in advance. Follow the procedures outlined in our Study Abroad web page.

Many UI students study abroad and receive financial aid.  The semester before you leave, there are specific steps you will need to take to make sure your financial aid is in place.  Our study abroad web page offers details on the procedures.

If you have not completed all of your degree requirements and are studying...

View FAQ

Review the individual items listed in the estimated cost of attendance. The cost of attendance includes personal and transportation expenses. You may not incur those expenses and you may not need the PLUS loan. If you feel that you need to take out an additional loan, you could apply for a private alternative loan.

Financial aid (except Work-Study) is disbursed by the University Billing Office at the beginning of each semester and continues throughout the semester. If you meet all requirements for the disbursement of aid, the University Billing...

View FAQ

The University Billing Office (UBO) will disburse Spring 2017 financial aid funds when classes begin in January.  They will begin issuing financial aid refunds on the first day of classes (January 17 for most students).  Additional information is available on the UBO website at:

View FAQ