If your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) was selected for federal verification by the U.S. Department of Education, you will need to complete a verification form and may need to obtain tax information directly from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You will be notified on your Student Aid Report and by University email if your FAFSA is selected. You can check your financial aid application status on MyUI.
If you are awarded financial aid, you will receive an award notification; however, your financial aid award will not be finalized and funds will not disburse until we receive the completed verification form and verification of income directly from the IRS.
You will receive an email that contains a link to the verification form that needs to be completed and returned to our office.
To obtain verification of income from the IRS, you will need to submit a Tax Return Transcript to our office. A Tax Return Transcript must be obtained from the IRS and is different than the federal 1040 tax return you submit to the IRS.
If you filed an amended tax return, submit the following two documents to our office:
- a Tax Return Transcript of the original tax return from the IRS (see instructions below)
- a signed copy of IRS Form 1040X that was submitted to the IRS
The FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool is no longer available. You will need to obtain a paper Tax Return Transcript (see instructions below).
- If you are applying for financial aid for the 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 academic years, you will need to obtain a 2015 Tax Return Transcript
- There are several ways to obtain the Tax Return Transcript:
- The IRS website:
- Click on the Get Transcript ONLINE button to immediately view, print, or download your tax return transcript.
- Click on the Get Transcript by MAIL button to request that the IRS mail your tax return transcript to you. It will take five to ten days for you to receive the tax return transcript(s) from the IRS.
- The IRS automated phone transcript service at 1-800-908-9946.
- The IRS website:
- If you have problems obtaining your tax return transcript from the IRS website, view their Tax Transcript Frequently Asked Questions web page for additional instructions or call the IRS at 800-829-1040.
- After you receive the tax return transcript(s), write the student's name and UI ID number in the top right corner and submit it to the Office of Student Financial Aid as soon as possible.
Obtaining a Verification of Non-Filing Letter
Beginning with the 2017-2018 academic year, if the student and/or parent(s) did not and will not file a federal tax return, a Verification of Non-filing Letter must be obtained from the IRS for each non-filer. (If the student and both parents did not and will not file a federal tax return, three Verification of Non-filing Letters must be obtained). For the 2017-2018 academic year, the Verification of Non-filing Letter must be for the calendar year 2015.
The Verification of Non-filing Letter can be obtained from the IRS website using the IRS Get Transcript service. If you cannot obtain one on-line, you can request one by completing the IRS Form 4506-T and faxing/mailing it to the IRS.
If you have trouble obtaining your Verification of Non-filing Letter, call the IRS at 800-829-1040, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.