The Office of Student Financial Aid determines your eligibility for financial aid. The University Billing Office is responsible for disbursing your financial aid (except Work-Study), providing your University bill (U-Bill), and collecting your U-Bill payment.

Prior session charges must be paid before financial aid funds can be released. Refer to the University Billing Office financial aid disbursement web page for more information and answers to frequently asked questions.


A disbursement is the payment of federal student aid funds by the school to a student's U-Bill and/or the student directly. Students generally receive their federal student aid in two or more disbursements. Federal Regulations restrict the disbursement of financial aid until 10 days before classes begin each fall and spring semester (5 days for the summer semester). If that day falls on a weekend/holiday, which is common, financial aid will disburse at the end of the next business day.

Requirements for Disbursement

Tracking Your Disbursement

You can track which funds have been disbursed to your U-Bill by accessing Financial Aid Disbursement in MyUI. On this screen, you can see anticipated financial aid, financial aid that applied to the U-Bill, and processed refunds.

If you are receiving a privately-funded scholarship, scholarship checks should be sent to the University Billing Office. Check out the University Billing Office instructions for submitting scholarship checks.


The University Billing Office applies financial aid funds to the student's U-Bill and refunds excess financial aid funds to the student. Electronic refunds will be processed daily, beginning at the start of each semester, and will be deposited into your account within 2-3 business days. If you do not provide your financial institution information, your excess refund could be delayed up to 14 days. If you have questions on how financial aid funds were applied to the U-Bill or when you will receive a financial aid refund, contact the University Billing Office.

Refunds can be used to pay for any expenses included in your cost of attendance, like off-campus housing, meals, and books & supplies.