Satisfactory Academic Progress
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is defined as the successful completion of coursework toward an eligible certificate or degree. Federal regulations require the Office of Student Financial Aid to monitor the academic progress of students receiving financial aid.
- apply to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students who wish to establish or maintain financial aid eligibility,
- apply to a student's entire academic record (including transfer hours), whether or not financial aid was received for prior terms of enrollment,
- include a minimum grade point average, minimum pace requirement, and total number of semester hours earned and/or semesters enrolled, and
- do not apply to students enrolled in the Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, and Law, and the eligible hospital certificate programs whose academic progress is monitored by the individual colleges and programs.
SAP Eligibility Review
Students’ academic records are reviewed in January, May, and August to determine compliance with the SAP Standards. Students who lose financial aid eligibility due to not meeting SAP requirements may:
- earn the necessary GPA or semester hours to meet the minimum requirements while not receiving federal financial aid or
- submit a SAP Appeal Form in MyUI.
A student may file a SAP Appeal Form on the basis of:
- death of a relative
- injury or illness of the student
- other special circumstances (such as difficult transition to UI, family issues, legal troubles, work or budget problems, etc.)
SAP Appeal Deadlines: For the fall and spring semesters, SAP appeals must be submitted by the first Friday of classes. For the summer session, SAP appeals must be submitted by June 15.
Completed SAP appeals will be reviewed within 15 business days. You will be notified by UI e-mail if your appeal is accepted or denied.
Please note: Up to three appeals may be accepted. Per Federal financial aid regulations, appeals are not automatically accepted and may be denied based on failure to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards set forth at the University of Iowa.