Summer Financial Aid Application
The summer application is made available in mid to late March. To apply for 2023 summer financial aid you must:
- have the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file in the Office of Student Financial Aid
- be registered for all summer courses before submitting the summer application. Early summer registration began March 6, 2023
- complete the summer financial aid application on MyUI
You must apply for and be offered summer financial aid before your summer session ends.
Credit Hour Requirements
Credit hour requirements to receive summer Federal Direct Loans vary based on college:
|College||Minimum Credit Hours|
|College of Pharmacy||6|
|College of Dentistry||2|
|College of Law||3|
|College of Medicine||3|
|School of Management||3|
Note: graduate students enrolled less than half-time may be eligible for loans if a short hours letter is on file for the summer session.
Withdrawing or Dropping Classes After the Summer Semester Has Begun
You should contact the firstname.lastname@example.org before dropping individual courses or withdrawing from the summer semester. A change in registration can impact your financial aid eligibility. See our summer withdrawing or dropping classes web page for important details.
Types of Financial Aid
Summer financial aid is usually limited to:
- Federal Pell Grant-- The Federal Pell Grant will automatically be offered to you if you qualify.
- Federal Direct Loans-- If you have received the annual maximum Federal Direct Stafford Loan amount for the fall, winter, and spring terms, loans will not be offered for the summer session.
- If you are a dependent undergraduate student your parent(s) may request a Federal Direct PLUS (Parent) Loan.
- If you are a graduate or professional student, you will be offered a Federal Direct PLUS (Graduate/Professional) Student Loan if you qualify
Financial Aid Offer
Financial aid offers will become available in MyUI starting in late April (be sure to change the session to summer). Offers will continue to be made available on a weekly basis. You will receive an email when your financial aid offer is ready.
University Bill (U-Bill)
Tuition and fees and residence hall room and board will be charged to your U-Bill beginning in May. The U-Bill must be paid by the due date, regardless of delays, reductions, or cancellations of financial aid.
Questions regarding the U-Bill or the impact of not paying the U-Bill should be directed to the University Service Center at 2700 University Capitol Centre, 319-335-0071, 800-943-4557, or email email@example.com.
Financial aid will be disbursed on the first day of your summer class.