It's never too early to start budgeting! No matter what your resources are, it is important to know where your money is going.
Create a Budget
With an App
There are many free budgeting apps available. Some that FLS staff like are...
Download one of our Excel worksheets on the right. Follow the instructions on the worksheet to project your expenses. Be sure to follow up and fill in your actual spending throughout the month.
With Pen and Paper
Download our Weekly Spending Tracker and Monthly Spending Plan. Use the weekly spending tracker to track your daily purchases. Use the monthly plan to set goals for how much you want to spend on various items.
- Are my expenses more than my income? If so, what can be reduced?
- How can I earn more income?
- Am I remembering to build my savings?
- What was surprising?
- Am I happy with my spending habits?
- Tracking your spending is a great first step to show you where your money goes.
- Do NOT use a credit card unless you can pay off the balance IN FULL each month.
- Find what works for you - debit card, cash, etc.
- Try to save ten percent of each paycheck. It's still your money - even if it is in a savings account!
- Meet with a Financial Literacy Specialist to develop your spending plan.
Meet with a Financial Literacy Specialist
Set up an individual meeting in MyUI:
- In the Student Information section, click on Advising Appointment
- Choose Office of Student Financial Aid in the dropdown menu and click Schedule Appointment
- Select your appointment reason from the dropdown menu
- Select your time and click Schedule Appointment