Citizenship and Financial Aid Eligibility

U.S. Citizens Information

You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen to meet eligibility requirements for federal student financial aid. You may be asked to document citizenship status if it cannot be confirmed by the Social Security Administration after completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If asked to document your status, you must bring one of the documents below to the Office of Student Financial Aid in person (or see option below if you aren't able to come to the office):

  • U.S. Birth Certificate
    • A copy of the student's birth certificate showing that the student was born in one of the following countries:
      • United States
      • Puerto Rico (on or after January 13, 1941)
      • Guam
      • U.S. Virgin Islands (on or after January 17, 1917)
      • American Samoa
      • Swains Island
      • Northern Mariana Islands
  • U.S. Passport
    • Current or expired
  • U.S. Passport Card
    • One year duration U.S. passports are NOT acceptable documentation
  • Certificate of Naturalization
    • N-550 or N-570 issued by USCIS (or prior to 1991, a federal or state court), or
    • Administrative naturalization after December 1990 to those
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad
    • FS-240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad)
    • FS-545 (Certificate of birth issued by a Foreign Service post)
    • DS-1350 (Certification of Report of Birth)
  • Certificate of Citizenship
    • N-560 or N-561 issued by USCIS to individuals who derive U.S. citizenship through a parent

If you are unable to present citizenship documents in person to the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA), you must submit a citizenship affidavit with an attached copy of your government issued photo ID via mail. Faxed/emailed documents will not be accepted. You may also contact us to schedule an appointment to verify citizenship documents if you are on campus.

Noncitizen Information

Students who are not a U.S. citizen, but are an eligible noncitizen, must correct question 14 on the FAFSA to indicate they are an eligible noncitizen. Students must also provide their Alien Registration Number on question 15 of the FAFSA. To make corrections to the FAFSA, visit

If the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) cannot confirm that your noncitizenship status meets the eligibility requirements for federal student financial aid, you must submit one of the following PDF icon acceptable documents below to the OSFA.

  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or Resident Alien Card (I-551)
    • If you have an older Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151, issued prior to June 1978), you should have replaced it with a newer card, but for 
  • Arrival/Departure Record (CBP Form I-94) or the Departure Record (Form I-94 or I-94A)
  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV)
    • Should have a U.S. CBP inspector admission stamp and the statement "Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year".
  • I-797 Approval Notice from USCIS
  • Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit (I-327) or Refugee Travel Document (Forms I-571)
  • Victims of Human Trafficking
    • I-94 with a T1, T2, T3, or T COA code, or
    • Can provide self-certification or eligibility letter from the Department of Health and Human Services
      • A spouse, child, or parent of a victim of human trafficking will not have a certification letter so can provide a T-visa (e.g. T2 or T3)