- International students are eligible for University of Iowa on-campus employment only. They are not eligible to be employed off campus.
- International students must have the proper F-1 or J-1 visa.
- While fall or spring semesters are in session, students on F-1 or J-1 visas may work up to 20 hours per week for all on-campus employment programs.
- F-1 students need no special permission
- J-1 students need a work authorization letter issued by International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
- During official university breaks (summer, winter, spring break, and Thanksgiving):
- F-1 students may work up to 40 hours per week with no special permission needed
- J-1 students may work up to 40 hours per week, providing they have obtained a work authorization letter from ISSS
On-campus employment of F-1 or J-1 students must end as of the last day of the semester that they graduate (the Friday of finals week) unless the student can show authorization for Optional Practical Training or Academic Training and the work relates directly to the degree being received.
Questions regarding employment policies for international students should be directed to International Student and Scholar Services, 335-0335.