The Registrar's Office determines whether a student pays in-state or out-of-state tuition by determining why the student is in the state of Iowa. If  the student is in Iowa primarily for educational purposes, they will be considered a nonresident. The University of Iowa does not have any reciprocity agreements for tuition adjustments with other states.

Resident classification information and answers to commonly asked questions are available on the Registrar's website.