Amended Tax Return for 2021-2022
If you or your parent filed a 1040X
If you or your parent have filed an amended tax return for the 2019 tax filing year, you will need to provide additional information to The Office of Student Financial Aid:
- A signed and dated copy of your original 2019 Form 1040, a copy of Schedule 1 if filed, a copy of Schedule 3 if filed, AND a signed and dated copy of your 2019 Form 1040X.
- A 2019 Federal Tax Return Transcript can be submitted in place of the 1040, along with the 2019 Tax Account Transcript in place of the 1040X form.
- 2019 Record of Account Transcript (NOT to be confused with the Tax Account Transcript. The Tax Account will not be accepted unless it is also submitted with a Tax Return Transcript).
If you or your parent did not file a 1040X
Sometimes the IRS will make minor internal corrections while processing tax return. In these cases a family will not have an amended 1040X return. You will need to provide a 2019 Record of Account Transcript (NOT to be confused with the Tax Account Transcript. The Tax Account will not be accepted unless it is also submitted with a Tax Return Transcript), or:
- Any letter or notice from the IRS indicating the changes the IRS made to the individual's tax return data items; or
- A Tax Account Transcript, which shows any amended tax data items.
- A Tax Return Transcript or any other tax transcript showing the tax data from the original tax return; or
- A signed copy of the tax return and Schedules 1, 2, and 3 that were filed with the IRS or other relevant tax authority.
Options to obtain the documents
- You can print your transcripts directly from the IRS website. If you are able to create an IRS account and print the transcript directly from the website, we recommend printing the 2019 Record of Account Tax Transcript (not the Tax Account Transcript). If you print the Record of Account Transcript, we do not need the 1040X and the Tax Return Transcript since the Record of Account Transcript includes everything we need for review.
- If you are unable to create an IRS account and you still live at the address on your 2019 tax return, select "Get Transcript by Mail" and complete the request for the 2019 tax transcript. The IRS will mail the transcript to the address listed on your 2019 tax return. Note: With the online mail request, the IRS does not have the option to mail the Record of Account Transcript, so you will have to request the tax return transcript and also send us a copy of your signed and dated 2019 1040X. OR you can order BOTH the Tax Transcript and the Tax Account Transcript for 2019.
- If you no longer have access to mail at the address on your 2019 tax return, you will need to order a transcript using the Form 4506-T from the IRS. Complete the 4506-T from and request the Record of Account Transcript from the year that ended December 31, 2019.
- When you receive the transcript, please hand deliver, fax or mail the documents to our office. Please do not email the documents since they contain sensitive information. If you include a copy of your 2019 Form 1040X, please sign and date the form.