Amended Tax Return for 2020-2021
If you or your parent have filed an amended tax return for the 2018 tax filing year, you will need to provide additional information to The Office of Student Financial Aid:
- A signed and dated copy of your original 2018 Form 1040, a copy of Schedule 1 if filed, a copy of Schedule 3 if filed, AND a signed and dated copy of your 2018 Form 1040X.
- A 2018 Federal Tax Return Transcript can be submitted in place of the 1040, along with the 2018 Account Transcript in place of the 1040X form.
- 2018 Record of Account Tax Return Transcript (NOT to be confused with the Account Transcript, that will not be accepted).
Here are a few options to obtain the documents:
- You can print your transcripts directly from the IRS website. If you are able to create an IRS account and print the transcript directly from the website, we recommend printing the 2018 Record of Account Tax Transcript (not the Account Transcript). If you print the Record of Account Transcript, we do not need the 1040X and the Tax Return Transcript since the Record of Account Tax Transcript includes everything we need for review.
- If you are unable to create an IRS account and you still live at the address on your 2018 tax return, select "Get Transcript by Mail" and complete the request for the 2018 tax transcript. The IRS will mail the transcript to the address listed on your 2018 tax return. Note: With the online mail request, the IRS does not have the option to mail the Record of Account Tax Transcript, so you will have to request the tax return transcript and also send us a copy of your signed and dated 2018 1040X. OR you can order BOTH the Tax Transcript and the Account Transcript for 2018.
- If you no longer have access to mail at the address on your 2018 tax return, you will need to order a transcript using the 4506T form from the IRS. Complete the 4506T from and request the Record of Account Tax Transcript from the year that ended December 31, 2018.
- When you receive the transcript, please hand deliver, fax or mail the documents to our office. Please do not email the documents since they contain sensitive information. If you include a copy of your 2018 Form 1040X, please sign and date the form.