University On-Campus Part-Time Hourly and Work-Study

Once hired, the student and their University employer will need to complete the following:

  • Bi-Weekly Student Appointment Form (completed electronically by the employer)
  • Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) - This form must be completed by the student and the employer prior to or within three days of employment. The student must be prepared to present the required documents to their employer, who must examine them as evidence of the student's identity and employment eligibility. Students can view a list of the required documents on the Payroll website. Generally, students use either a driver’s license or University ID card AND a social security card or original birth certificate. An unexpired U.S. Passport is also acceptable. Federal law prohibits employees from working past the initial three days without having completed the I-9 form.
  • Form W-4 – (completed by the student on MyUI)
  • Authorization for Direct Deposit – (completed by the student on MyUI).

Working at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC)

Prior to starting employment at UIHC, applicants must have an acceptable outcome of a background/credential check, as well as completion of a health screening and initial TB test.  UIHC utilizes a two-step TB screening process.  The first TB test may be done outside of UIHC, provided the University Employee Health Clinic (UEHC) has written documentation this test was completed within the 12 months preceding your employment date.  With this verification you can immediately initiate the second test at UEHC.  Otherwise, you need to have both steps administered at UEHC. The first test must be completed before you can begin employment (orientation) and the second test must be completed as soon as possible after starting employment, but no later than seven (7) days following your employment date.  Additional health screening is also required following employment.   No patient care duties are permitted until both TB tests are complete.  Direct any questions to the Hospital Human Resources assistance line at 319-356-2444.

Off-Campus Work-Study

All of the above forms that are required for on-campus employment must also be completed for off-campus Work-Study employment. The off-campus Work-Study employer will initiate the appointment request with student employment staff. If a Form I-9 is needed, the student and employer will be notified. The student must bring their required Form I-9 documents to 2400 University Capitol Centre. Students can view a list of the required documents on the Payroll website. The student cannot begin work until the Form I-9 is completed.

Getting Paid

  • Student employees must document their eligibility to work under federal law by completing an I-9 form prior to or on their first days of employment. Be prepared to present the documents necessary to complete the I-9 Form. Students can view a list of the required documents on the Payroll website.
  • The amount a student earns is determined by multiplying the hourly rate of pay by the number of hours worked.  The student's rate of pay is established by the employer.  The State of Iowa minimum hourly wage is $7.25.  The PDF icon Part-Time and PDF icon Work-Study wage survey results provide information on rates of pay.
  • Students are paid biweekly according to the Payroll Biweekly Schedule. Payment for hours worked is deposited in the student's bank account, it is not credited to the student's University account (U-bill).
  • Employment hours are through MyUI.
  • For additional information on resources available to students regarding their payroll information, view MyUI& Self Service Human Resource Access for Students.