Welcome to all community employers who wish to advertise part-time hourly jobs on the University Handshake system. We are excited that you have chosen to hire University students for these positions. These community job opportunities are very important to students as they play a big role in their personal and professional development by:
- Improving their time management skills
- Reducing their need for student loans and indebtedness
- Gain career experience while helping to clarify their goals, gain self-confidence, and build a network of contacts
- Providing opportunities to expand their social circle
Handshake postings must be for a campus job or local business. Private in-home job postings will no longer be accepted on Handshake. Employers with home-based opportunities (i.e., babysitting, yard work, housekeeping) should consider posting their positions on websites designed for this type of work (see Private In-Home Job Posting section below).
Establishing Rate of Pay
The employer determines the hourly rate of pay based on job duties and qualifications and the current job market. The student's experience and background for the particular job should be used as criteria in setting the exact hourly wage.
Posting Jobs on Handshake
Handshake is the University's online advertisement system for student part-time hourly jobs, internships, and full-time employment. All job qualifications must be in accordance with the University of Iowa Non-Discrimination Statement. Off-campus community employers must be approved by the Office of Student Financial Aid before they can post Federal Work-Study jobs.
View the Employer Tips For Handshake for detailed information on how to post a job. Handshake is updated daily, Monday through Friday, with new jobs being posted within two business days. Jobs are posted for 180 days. When a job is filled, the employer will need to deactivate the job on Handshake.
Postings on Handshake require the following:
- part-time status with the number of hours per week listed as a numerical value
- academic year: no more than 20 hours per week
- Thanksgiving, winter break, spring break, summer session: no more than 40 hours per week
- an hourly rate
- job location and employer's geographic location are within 30 miles of Iowa City
Private In-Home Job Posting/Search Options
The following websites are available for employer and student use in posting/searching for childcare, lawn care, housekeeping, and other miscellaneous jobs for private in-home settings. The University of Iowa has not reviewed nor endorsed the postings on these websites.