Renewals and Appeals
Scholarships awarded by the Office of Student Financial Aid and the Office of Admissions require continuous full-time enrollment (12+ hours for each semester) and a specific UI cumulative GPA (not overall cumulative). The GPA requirement differs for each scholarship. Scholarship renewal requirements are monitored each semester and if you do not meet the renewal requirements at the end of a semester, the scholarship will be canceled for all future semesters.
You may experience extenuating circumstances that affect your ability to meet the renewal requirements and may submit an appeal if these circumstances occurred within the semester or academic year. Approving an additional appeal is generally not an option if a previous appeal was already approved.
Reasons for an appeal may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serious medical condition (illness, surgery, hospitalization, mental health issue, accident) or of an immediate family member
- Death of a family member or close friend
- Other circumstances that are beyond your control
Submitting your appeal
If you were notified that your scholarship was canceled and you have experienced any of the above circumstances, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit an appeal for the Spring 2019 semester was January 31st, 2019. In your appeal, please provide:
- Full Name
- UI ID
- Current cell number
- Details on why you were not able to meet the renewal criteria
- Your projected plan that will lead you to meeting renewal requirements in the future
Timelines for submitting an appeal:
- Appeals for the spring semester must be submitted by the end of January
- Appeals for the fall semester must be submitted by mid-June
- If you are considering dropping below full time enrollment or withdraw completely, submit an appeal as soon as possible
- Appeals are reviewed in the order of receipt and a decision will be emailed to your UI email
Note: This appeal submission is not for the Advantage Iowa awards. You should have received a separate email about the Advantage Iowa appeal process from Dr. Nadine Petty, Executive Director of the Center for Diversity and Enrichment.