Due to COVID-19 the deadline to submit an appeal for the fall 2020 semester has been extended to June 30, 2020. Visit our COVID-19 Updates page for additional information on scholarship policies for this semester.
Renewals and Appeals
Scholarships offered by the Office of Student Financial Aid and the Office of Admissions require continuous full-time enrollment (12+ hours for each semester) and a specific UI cumulative GPA (not overall cumulative). The GPA requirement differs for each scholarship. Scholarship renewal requirements are monitored each semester and if you do not meet the renewal requirements at the end of a semester, the scholarship will be canceled for all future semesters.
If you are considering dropping below full-time enrollment or withdrawing from the semester, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid to discuss how it may affect future scholarship eligibility.
You may experience extenuating circumstances that affect your ability to meet the renewal requirements and may submit an appeal if these circumstances occurred within the semester or academic year.* Approving an additional appeal is generally not an option if a previous appeal was already approved.
This appeal submission is not for Advantage Iowa. You should have received a separate email about the Advantage Iowa appeal process from Dr. Nadine Petty, Executive Director of the Center for Diversity and Enrichment.
Reasons for an appeal may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serious medical condition (illness, surgery, hospitalization, mental health issue, accident) or of an immediate family member
- Death of a family member or close friend
- Other circumstances that are beyond your control
Submitting your appeal
If you were notified that your scholarship was canceled and you have experienced any of the above circumstances, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Scholarship appeals for the Fall 2020 semester may be submitted after Spring 2020 grades have been posted.
In your appeal, please provide:
- Full Name
- UI ID
- Current cell number
- Details on why you were not able to meet the renewal criteria
- Your projected plan that will lead you to meeting renewal requirements in the future
Timelines for submitting an appeal:
- Appeals for the spring semester must be submitted by January 31
- Appeals for the fall semester must be submitted by June 19 (Due to COVID-19 the deadline to submit an appeal for the fall 2020 semester has been extended to June 30, 2020)
- Appeals are reviewed in the order they are received and a decision will be emailed to your UI email
* The Office of Student Financial Aid has reporting obligations when students disclose information about sexual misconduct, stalking, or dating/domestic violence. The Office of Student Financial Aid shares information with the Office of Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator. The Office of Sexual Misconduct Coordinator works to ensure that individuals who have had these types of experiences, have access to information about confidential support resources, options for resolution, and the potential for accommodations that might be needed. You are welcome to contact the Office of Sexual Misconduct Coordinator directly at 319-335-6200.