Student employees are vital to the functioning of the University. In conjunction with National Student Employment Week (April 8-14, 2018), the University seeks to recognize the achievements of students employed through student part-time hourly and Work-Study programs. Employers are encouraged to plan appreciation events for their student employees during this national recognition week.
Students can be nominated by supervisors for recognition through the National Student Employee of the Year program. Supervisors must submit a nomination form and a separate letter of nomination. Nominations are judged on the following characteristics: reliability, quality of work, initiative, professionalism, and the uniqueness of the student’s contribution to the employer.
Winners are chosen by a selection committee comprised of Cindy Seyfer, Associate Director of Student Financial Aid, a representative from Human Resources, and a representative from the Division of Student Life. A faculty member and/or a student winner from the previous year may also be on the committee. The nomination for the UI Student Employee of the Year winner is submitted by the University of Iowa to the National Student Employment Association (NSEA) for review at the state, regional and national level. The NSEA then selects state, regional, and national winners for additional recognition.
Awards and Recognition
Each year approximately 25-40 nominations are received. All nominees are recognized through a Daily Iowan display ad during National Student Employment week and receive a Student Employee of the Year mug. Generally five to nine students are selected for additional recognition.
- University of Iowa Student Employee of the Year – One student is selected. The winner receives a gift certificate to the IMU Bookstore along with a movie pass, mug, and award certificate.
- Certificate of Distinction – The number of students selected varies each year based on the applicant pool. The winners receive a movie pass, mug, and award certificate.
- Certificate of Appreciation - The number of students selected varies each year based on the applicant pool. The winners receive a movie pass, mug, and award certificate.
Winners of the above awards are recognized during a formal presentation at their individual employment sites. They are also invited to a recognition luncheon with The University of Iowa President.
University of Iowa Campus Winner and Science, Health and Engineering Category: Rachel Bruflodt, Undergraduate Research Assistant, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Administrative Support Category: Lauren Himan, Student Graphic Designer - Division of Interdisciplinary Programs
Student/Campus Services Category: Zach Steil, Student Manager - Banquets & Catering
Certificate of Distinction:
- Rojahn Kakavandi, WiSE Peer Mentoring and Ambassadors Assistant – Women in Science & Engineering (WISE)
- Gabriela Magalhaes, Multimedia Development Studio Assistant - Language Media Center
- Rebecca Mansfield, Succes@Iowa Teaching Assistant - Office of Teaching, Learning & Technology
- Anna Seydel, Undergraduate Research Assistant - Center for Computer-Aided Design
- Rochelle Yang, Research Assistant - College of Pharmacy, Health Science Research
Impact of Outside Awards/Prizes
Federal financial aid regulations require that all financial aid (loans/grants/scholarships/work-study) and educational resources (i.e. awards, prizes) must fit within a student's financial need and/or cost of attendance. If the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) becomes aware of additional financial aid or other educational resources, the financial aid that was awarded by OSFA may be reduced or cancelled.
The Controller's Office emailed information regarding Student Awards, Prizes, and Other Similar Forms of Payment to all University departments.