Student Job Fair
The Student Job Fair takes place the first week of classes each fall and second week of classes each spring. The fair offers an excellent opportunity for students to learn more about the variety of student hourly and Work-Study jobs available on the UI campus and at qualified off-campus non-profit Work-Study sites.
The Fall 2018 Student Job Fair will be held on Wednesday, August 22, 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. in the Main Lounge of the Iowa Memorial Union (IMU).
The Spring 2019 Student Job Fair will be held on Wednesday, January 23, 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. in the Main Lounge of the Iowa Memorial Union (IMU).
The University is excited to have students consider campus employment. Research shows that students who are connected to campus are more successful and more likely to continue enrollment and do well academically. Many first-year students choose student employment as their Pick One.
Last year more than 35 employers attended the job fair along with over 1,200 students. Many employers will interview students that day and some employers will extend job offers to students at the fair.
Below is a list of tips for the job fair:
- "Dress to impress." Business casual is fine. You don't need to wear a suit, but you don't want to come in work-out clothes.
- Bring your class schedule and available work hours.
- If you are applying for Work-Study jobs, you should also bring verification of your Work-Study eligibility. You can access this information in MyUI. Make sure you select the appropriate semester/session.
- Bring your resume.
- Bring the names, telephone numbers and email addresses for individuals you will list on applications as personal or employment references.
- To be paid by an employer, you must complete the Form I-9 with your employer within three days of the start of work. To complete the form you will need identity documents. Be sure to bring these documents with you to campus.
- Be aware of the Job Fair hours of 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. If you have class during that time period and are not able to attend, be sure to check out jobs on HireaHawk. If you need contact information for an employer, email or call (319-335-1460) Student Employment for assistance.
The University of Iowa is proud to sponsor multiple career fairs over the course of each semester. The best thing about these career fairs is that there is one for everybody. Not only is there the large job and internship fair each semester, but there are departmental career fairs along the way.
A common misconception about career fairs is that they are only for juniors and seniors. This is simply not the case! Attend these career fairs each semester and take these fantastic opportunities to network with organizations you are interested in as early as possible! 80% of jobs are not advertised so networking is crucial in the process of developing your career path.
Visit the Career Center website for information on Upcoming Career Fairs.