Student supervisors play an incredibly important role, not only for the University, but for the students that they lead. The level of importance that supervisors play in the overall education experience of their students has been highlighted in the incredible number of nominations written by students over the first two years of the award.
Through this annual award, the Office of Student Employment and the University recognize the terrific leadership and workplace environment that student supervisors have created within their department.
Nomination and Selection Process
Student employees are emailed a flyer asking to recognize their supervisors for performance in these key nomination criteria:
- provides excellent training, coaching, and professional development opportunities to student employees
- helps the student connect learning in the classroom to experiences on the job
- assists the student in connecting job skill development to future professional employment
- showcases how much they care about the student as a person
Upon receiving and reviewing all nominations, finalists are selected and reviewed by a committee of four, including one student, to determine the eight winners. In the first two years of the award, the Office of Student Employment has received 67 and 89 nominations.
Awards and Recognition
All nominees are recognized in an ad displayed in The Daily Iowan, as well as being the focus of an article on Iowa Now. Each supervisor also receives a Student Supervisor of the Year mug to show our appreciation for their efforts.
The winners are grouped in the following categories:
- University of Iowa Campus Winner - One top campus winner
- Certificate of Distinction - Second through fourth place winners
- Certificate of Appreciation - Fifth through eighth place winners
All eight winners are awarded with a Supervisor of the Year mug and framed certificate signed by the University of Iowa President. Winners are also invited to attend a reception along with our Student Employee of the Year winners at the UI President’s house.
University of Iowa Campus Winner: Katie Johnson/Kelly Flinn, Center for Conferences
Certificate of Distinction:
- Sarah Hansen, VP Student Life
- Kathy Lafaurie, Academic Advising Center
- Amy Lintner, Orientation Services
Certificate of Appreciation:
- Josey Bathke, Risk Management
- Jayme Crawford, External Relations
- Susannah Shive, International Writing Program
- Colton Smith, University Housing Administration